Energy & Electricity
- The Liberia Electricity Corporation LEC has signed a five-year management contract with an international energy provider. The contract which is valued at US$53m was signed on Tuesday April 20, 2010. This will include the management of LEC and is aimed at strengthening the various capacities at LEC and to deliver efficient and sustainable electricity to the city of Monrovia and its environs.
- Liberia's electricity generation capacities will more than double within the next year from 10 megawatts to 23 megawatts.
- The Rural and Renewable Energy Agency (RREA) has been established with the aim to administer electrification to rural areas through renewable and least-cost energy technologies and resources, including micro-hydro power plants, small biomass power plants, solar photovoltaic applications, and other mini-grid and stand-alone systems.
- The Cote d’Ivoire –Liberia-Sierra Leone – Guinea (CLSG) Interconnection Project being undertaken by the West African Power Pool (WAPP) is one of The objective is to establish a more secured, reliable transmission corridor for transfer of low cost energy and the construction of approximately 1,100 Km of high voltage transmission line.
- Funding is being gathered for the rehabilitation of the Mount Coffee hydroelectric power plant and another plant in Lofa County