The Ministry of Lands, Mines and Energy comprises of the following departments:
- The Department of Lands, Surveys and Cartography which consists of the Liberian Cartographic Service and the Bureau of Lands and Surveys
- The Department of Mineral Exploration and Research, which consists of the Liberian Geological Survey and the Liberian Hydrological Service
- The Department of Mines and Mineral Resources Development and Conservation which consists of the Bureau of Mines and Bureau of Economic Forecast and Mining Concession Appraisal
- The Department of Energy which consists of the Bureau of Hydrocarbons and the Bureau of Energy Technology and Policy Development
- The Department of Planning and Development
- The Inspectorate Division
- The Department of Administration
Over the years and during the period under review, the Ministry accomplished a number of tasks in the areas of contracting concession investment in the mineral sector by awarding numerous mineral rights, instituting reform in the land sector by adopting policies to control the illicit trafficking of deeds, providing safe drinking water by conducting research in water quality analysis with help from many institutions (Governmental, NGOs, PVOs, International Organizations, etc), the compilation of data with the aim of producing a new mineral resources map of the country, and the supervision and controlled monitoring of the alluvial mining sector.
The Ministry, during the period reactivated the National Energy Committee (NEC) an inter-agency advisory body on energy matters comprising nine members including government ministries and public corporations. This is in agreement with the multi-sectoral approach being encouraged by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
For further information on the Ministry of Lands, Mines and Energy please click on this link.